7 For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind. 2 Timothy 1:7 New King James Version (NKJV)
I know there is a legal definition of a sound mind and a more elegant biblical way to say this but I want to make it simple– “Sound mind in 2 Timothy 1:7 is a spirit of self-discipline–sometimes translated as “a sound mind”–and is one of the characteristics of Christ-followers. Nobody who has experienced God’s grace need be timid or afraid with God at their side.”(1) So “A spirit of fear” is not of God!
Previous to the last 6 years or so I lived in fear. I was a Christian who lived in the bondage of fear. I feared everything and always thought the worst thing before it even happened. Fear ran my every decision instead of God. Up until 6 years ago I read the word but very little (I was too busy or something), so I did not know the Word of God well enough to use it or even understand it.
How did I get to a place of Peace, you ask?
A hunger for more of God’s Word came into my life and so I started searching for the truth of God not the man-made religion. In my search I learned that God had created meditation so we could fill our mind with Him! I also learned that I am to confess the Word of God out of my mouth aloud for my ears to hear. Consider the Word of God the fridge of food for your spirit. If you don’t eat food for your body it eventually shrivels up and dies. This is also true of your spirit.
Below is a Mirror Exercise to start you on the road to Peace and a sound mind. These are the Bible verses I use when any Fear rises up in me.
Uses these daily, 2 or 3 times a day. Use them all or pick a couple from this and a couple from the other pages Mirror Exercises (Who I am in Christ) , For Peace. For Provision, For Healing, For Protection, For Wisdom and Direction and For Sleeping Well Be consistent!
Mirror Exercise 1 “Peace of God”
- The Lord will perfect that which concerneth me… (Psalms 138:8) KJV.
- I let the peace of God rule in my heart… (Colossians 3:15) and I refuse to worry about anything!
- For God has not given me a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind. (2 Timothy 1:7) NKJV
- Fear not [there is nothing to fear], for I am with you; do not look around you in terror and be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen and harden you to difficulties, yes, I will help you; yes, I will hold you up and retain you with My [victorious] right hand of rightness and justice (Isaiah 41:10) AMP
- And the Lord, He is the One who goes before you. He will be with you, He will not leave you nor forsake you; do not fear nor be dismayed.” (Deuteronomy 31:8) NKJV
- Yes, though I walk through the [deep, sunless] valley of the shadow of death, I will fear or dread no evil, for You are with me; Your rod [to protect] and Your staff [to guide], they comfort me. (Psalm 23:4) AMP
- The Lord is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? the Lord is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?(Psalm 27:1) NKJV
- He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. (Psalms 91:1) KJV
- Casting the [a]whole of your care [all your anxieties, all your worries, all your concerns, [b]once and for all] on Him, for He cares for you affectionately and cares about you [c]watchfully. (1 Peter 5:7) AMP
- There is no fear in love; but perfect love casts out fear, because fear involves torment. But he who fears has not been made perfect in love. (1 John 4:18) NKJV
- God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble. Therefore I will not fear when the earth changes, and when mountains are slipping into the heart of the seas. (Psalms 46:1-2) MKJV
- In righteousness you shall be established; You shall be far from oppression, for you shall not fear… (Isaiah 54:14) NKJV
- Born Identity (thelbdessentialsforlife.wordpress.com)
- Strength, Not Storybooks (thelbdessentialsforlife.wordpress.com)
- Victory in the Truth of Gods Word! (thelbdessentialsforlife.wordpress.com)